The Federal Government of Nigeria through the Federal Ministry of Education through the Federal Scholarship Board is offering the Bilateral Educational Agreement (BEA) Oversea Scholarships to Nigerian undergraduate, masters and doctoral students.
The BEA Awards are scholarship awards made to eligible Nigerian youths after due process by development partners who have entered into Bilateral Educational agreement with Nigeria. Nigeria equally offers reciprocal awards to citizens of the following Bilateral Education Agreement countries: China, Romania, and Cuba.
The Honourable Minister of Education (HME), is hereby inviting interested and qualified Nigerians to participate in the 2013/2014 Nomination Interview for the Bilateral Educational Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Award tenable in Russia, China, Cuba, Morocco, Algeria, Romania, Ukraine, Turkey, Egypt, Japan, Serbia, Mexico, Macedonia, e.t.c.
Eligibility Criteria for BEA Award
(A) Postgraduate Scholarships:
- All applicants must hold a First Degree with at least 2nd Class Upper Division.
- The applicants who are previous recipients of Foreign Awards must have completed at least two (2) years post qualification or employment practice in Nigeria.
- A knowledge of the Foreign language of the donor country is desired particularly for those applying for Russian Award.
- All applicants must have completed N.Y.S.C.
- Age limit is 35 years for Masters and 40 years for Ph.D.
(B) Undergraduate Scholarships:
- All applicants for undergraduate degree courses must possess a minimum qualification of Five (5) Distinctions (As & Bs) in the Senior Secondary School Certificate (WAEC or NECO) only in the subjects relevant to their field of study including English Language and Mathematics.
- Certificates should not be more than Three (3) years old (2010 – 2012).
- Applicants who by October 2013 will be in 300 Level and above in any Tertiary Institution need not apply.
- Age limit is 23 years
NOTE (For all Applicants): Knowledge of the language of the country of choice is an added advantage.
Awards are open to eligible Nigerian youths who fulfill the above ‘Eligibility Criteria for BEA Award’
All accredited institutions of higher learning in the participating countries that have Bilateral Educational Agreements (BEA) with Nigeria.
Some of the BEA countries at present include the following: Russia, China, Cuba, Morocco, Algeria, Romania, Ukraine, Turkey, Egypt, Japan, Serbia, Mexico, Macedonia, e.t.c
Fields of Study
The Fields of Study:
- Undergraduate level – Medicine, Paramedical, Engineering, Geology, Agriculture, Sciences, Mathematics, Languages, Environmental Sciences, Sports, Law, Social Sciences, etc
- Postgraduate level (Masters Degree and Ph.D) in all fields
Awardees study the language of the country in their first Year and this constitutes the language of instruction throughout their study. It is pertinent to state that performance in the language course determines the continuation of the course of study for which the award has been made.
Number of awards
Not specified, but several would be awarded
The duration of the scholarship offer ranges from 4 – 9 years depending on the level of study and the country.
The participating countries (see above) are responsible for the tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria government takes care of the following;
- $500 monthly for supplementation
- $250 yearly for warm clothing
- $200 yearly for Health Insurance
- $500 yearly for medical scholars only
- $1000 for PG research grant yearly were applicable
- N100,000 – Take off for PG scholars were applicable
- N60,000 – Take off for UG scholars were applicable
Method of Application
To apply for the federal government scholarship, all qualified candidates are advised to:
- Visit http://fsb.gov.ng/fsb-application-centre
- Select BEA Award Application
- Read Requirements & Instructions, and continue
- Print completed Application Form and Acknowledgement Slip and bring two (2) copies to interview venue.
Venue of Interview:
All eligible applicants are to report for interview at the venues nearest to them as scheduled for their respective states of origin. Two sets of completed application forms should be submitted at the various interview centres with the following attachments:
- Two authenticated photocopies of Educational Certificates and Testimonial
- Only one Certificate will be accepted ie WAEC or NECO
- Statement of results must be confirmed by WAEC or NECO and forwarded to the Director/ Secretary, Federal Scholarship Board, Abuja.
- Two copies of Birth Certificate.
- State of Origin Certificate duly signed, stamped and dated.
- Eight (8) passport sized colour photographs on white background
- Medical Certificate of Fitness including HIV /AIDS, and Hepatitis B free Certificates obtained from a Teaching Hospital, General Hospital or National Hospital, Abuja.
- Police Clearance Certificate including finger prints from the Police Station nearest to Place of Residence
- Data page of current International Passport, and
- Academic transcripts and NYSC certificate will be required from applicants for postgraduate studies.
Original documents should be presented at the interview venues for sighting.
For interview dates and venues download the BEA 2013/2014 Scholarship poster(pdf)
The 2013/2014 BEA interview venues and dates are scheduled between 11th to 15th March 2013. Applications should be submitted before the nomination interview of 11th to 15th March 2013. Please note that the exact application deadline date is yet to be announced as at the time of publishing this update.
Federal Scholarship Board (FSB),
Plot 245 Samuel Ademulegun Street
Central Business District, Abuja
Or, any of the Six (6) Zonal Offices at: Enugu, Gusau, Minna, Akure, Bauchi and Port Harcourt.
Application closes before 11-15 March, 2013